Food that evokes memories is the best kind. Like this Moru Kaachiyathu. The minute I saw this, my mind went into flashback mode.
Before my marriage when I was staying with my friends, we had a cook to make dinner for us. The first day of her cooking, we found a tail in the gravy that she had made. Not one tail, but many!! Suspicious, worried and curious, my friend picked up the tail slowly and along with the tail came a whole brinjal!
Apparently it was one of our cook’s specialties : Ennai Kathirikkai. For this, you slit a whole brinjal all the way through and cook it in the gravy. We didn’t know that.
My friend tried tasting it, didn’t find it to her taste. She went inside the kitchen and made this moru kaachiyathu. Our cook did a decent job for us, but still many a times, my friend’s moru curry would appear in the dining table.
The taste, the simplicity and the warmth of it still hasn’t left me.
So when I saw this in Ramya’s blog, my bookmarked blog for Blog Hop Wednesdays, I couldn’t help making it. I made her small potato spicy curry also to serve along this Kaachiya moru. Head out to Ramya’s blog for some awesome Kerala (as well as non Kerala) cuisine.
Ingredients: Kachiya Moru
- Yogurt : 2 cups
- Water : 1 cup
- Salt : to taste
- Small Onions : 4-5 sliced
- Green Chillies : 1-2, sliced fine
- Ginger : 1/2″ piece, chopped fine
- Garlic : 1 clove, chopped fine
- Red Chilli : 1
- Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : a few
- Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
- Oil : 1-2 tsp
- Whisk the yogurt, salt and water thoroughly. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the red chillies and mustard seeds. When they splutter, add the fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Wait for a minute for the fenugreek seeds to brown and then add the onions, chillies, ginger, and garlic. Cook till the onion changes color. Add the turmeric powder and cook for one more minutes.
- Turn the heat to low and add the yogurt mixture, stirring continuously. When the yogurt gets warm, turn off the heat and remove the vessel from the stove. Else the yogurt might curdle.
- Serve with rice and spicy potato curry.