There was a party a couple of days back and everyone received this cute little strawberry bag pouches as return gifts. Before the moms could even have a look at the bag, the kids snatched them away.
One kid was wearing it as a garland and another one was wearing it on his head like a cap. Pretty soon, a set of kids started using them as a cape. Add the mask for the eyes and you have a real superhero costume!
Superheroes with grocery bag capes! It was such a fun sight :).
So many uses for a grocery bag!
Talking about versatility, this onion based gravy too is versatile. Made for the third week of Blogging Marathon, under ‘Cooking with Onions’ theme, I served them with idli. But pair these with aappam, dosa, puttu, chapati or idiappam, it will be good. Add the eggs or leave them out, it will still taste great. Try this very simple, but absolutely tasty, onion masala curry.
Check out the other themes and recipes at the Blogging Marathon page.
- Onions : 2, big
- Tomato : 1, optional
- Ginger garlic paste : 1 tsp
- Garam Masala : 1 tsp
- Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder : 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Egg : 2 (optional)
- Bring a pan of water to boil, add the eggs and hard boil them for about 10 minutes. When they are cooked and are cool enough to touch, remove the shell, make 3-4 slits and keep aside.
- For the gravy, peel and thinly slice the onions. If using tomatoes, slice them too.
- Heat one tbsp oil in a pan and add the onions. Saute and cook till it turns pink. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for a minute more. Add the tomatoes if you are using, followed by the spice powders. Stir frequently to avoid the spices from burning. You can add a tsp or two of water, to prevent the spices from burning.
- If you want a gravy, add about half a cup of water and bring it to a boil. Add the eggs. Let everything cook together for a minute or two. Take off the stove and keep covered till the time of serving.
- This goes well with a lot of South Indian breakfast items. It pairs really nice with aappam, puttu, idli, idiappam, dosa and even chapathis.
- You can totally omit the egg and the tomatoes and yet have a spicy onion curry, which will taste fantastic.
- You can substitute all the spice powders with a teaspoon or two of sambar powder.