Its all about being at the right place, at the right time. Its also about asking the right questions to the right person! Believe me, the right question solved the letter ‘J’ problem for me.
I wanted to make Jackfruit based recipe for J. Not too many recipes to choose from for this letter anyway. And so after zeroing on Jackfruit Payasam or Chakka Pradhaman, I forgot to get the main ingredient – Chakka Varatti from Kerala!
I was wondering how to make the payasam without the varatti (you won’t get ripe jackfruit here). I asked my cousin whether she knows some shop where I can get it and she said, she had some at her place.
Yup! That’s lady luck for you :-)…
She had only a little bit left, but that was fine by me. The mere fact that my ‘J’ problem got solved was a reason enough to make a payasam! And here it is…
This and that info:
- Chakka Pradhaman can be made from scratch from Chakka/Jackfruit. I took the short cut version, and started off with the varatti (halwa)
- A payasam can be milk based or jaggery based. Usual combination is jaggery and coconut milk.
- My cousin replaces the coconut milk entirely with milk. The taste is almost the same.
- My cousin also tells me that you have to be careful when using ready made chakka varatti. Chances of it going bad when cooking is high, apparently.
- Chakka Varatti : 1/4 cup
- Coconut Milk : 1/2 cup (Thin Milk)**
- Coconut milk : 1/2 cup (thick)**
- Cashews & Raisins : 1 tsp each
- Ghee : 1 tsp
**Can substitute with one cup of full fat milk.
- Pulse the varatti with 2-3 tbsp of warm water in a mixer. This will make it easy to cook.
- Heat the pulsed chakka varatti and thin coconut milk and bring to a boil, mixing now and then. After a couple of seconds, tip in the thick milk and then switch off before it comes to a boil.
- Remove from the stove and stir for a couple of minutes to make sure that it doesn’t split.
- If you are using whole milk, then boil the milk. Blend the varatti with two tbsp of warm water in a mixie. Add this to the boiling milk, mix and switch of immediately. Take off the heat. Mix continuously, else it might split.
- In a small pan, heat the ghee and brown the cashews, coconut scrapes and raisins a bit. Pour it onto the prepared payasam. Done! I didnt have cashew nuts, so I have used coconut and almonds here.
- A – Avial, Ada Pradhaman, Achinga Payar – Chena Mezhukkupiratti
- B - Beetroot Kichadi, Beet root thoran, Beans Thoran
- C - Carrot Thoran, Cabbage Thoran
- D – Daal – Parippu Curry
- E – Erisseri – Chena & Mathan Vanpayaru
- F - Fruit Pachadi
- G – God’s Own Country – Kerala
- H – How to Serve a Sadya
- I – Inji Puli
- J – Jackfruit Payasam – Chakka Payasam
Logo courtesy : Preeti