L for lemon. So instead of making a pickle from scratch, I resorted to the now regular rasam recipe.
For a sadya, rasam is served after the sambar course. Its usually not a flavored rasam, but when preparing at home we can choose what we want.
And I want lemon rasam :-)
The flavor of ginger and green chillies in this recipe is just heavenly. The rasam tastes good by itself as well.
Scroll down for the recipe.
Recipe Source: Edible Garden
- Toor dal, cooked : 1/2 cup
- Green chillies : 2-3, slit open
- Ginger : 1 ” piece
- Tomato : 1
- Tamarind paste : 1/2 tsp
- Sambar powder : 1 tsp
- Pepper powder : 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp
- Half a lemon
- Ghee/oil : 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
- Curry leaves : a few
- Wash, clean and pressure cook the toor dal and keep aside.
- Clean the chillies and slit them open. Wash, clean and peel the ginger piece. Cut the tomatoes into small cubes.
- In a kadai or in a MW proof dish, add the chillies, ginger, tomatoes, sambar powder, pepper powder, salt, tamarind paste and one cup water. I use MW for this and cook this for 5-6 minutes on HIGH.
- If you are doing this in stove top, bring it to a boil and cook till the tomatoes are done. Mash the tomatoes gently with the back of a ladle.
- Add two more cups of water and the cooked dal. The dal must be well cooked, and it can be mashed with the back of the ladle. Bring it to a boil and let it boil for 4-5 minutes. Do a taste test and adjust seasonings.
- Add more water if required. Add the chopped coriander leaves and boil for another minute or two. Take off the heat. Squeeze the lemon juice into this.
- In a small pan, add the ghee/oil. Add the mustard seeds and once they crackle, add the curry leaves. Wait for the curry leaves to change color. Top this into the prepared rasam.
- This is excellent when drank by itself also.
- A – Avial, Ada Pradhaman, Achinga Payar – Chena Mezhukkupiratti
- B - Beetroot Kichadi, Beet root thoran, Beans Thoran
- C - Carrot Thoran, Cabbage Thoran
- D – Daal – Parippu Curry
- E – Erisseri – Chena & Mathan Vanpayaru
- F - Fruit Pachadi
- G – God’s Own Country – Kerala
- H – How to Serve a Sadya
- I – Inji Puli
- J - Jackfruit Payasam – Chakka Payasam
- K - Kalan & Koottu Curry
- L - Lemon Rasam
Linking this to Valli’s Side Dish Mela
Logo courtesy : Preeti
Linking this to Valli’s Side Dish Mela.