This salad is my savior on many a days when I feel tired (read: lazy) to cook up a whole meal. No, I cannot serve this to my ‘raw food hater’ husband or to my cute little bundle of terror, but its just perfect for me.
I came across this salad in a Rosemary Conley diet book, which was my guru for shedding kilos from my overweight body. I did loose a lot of weight, but didn’t bother to maintain and so here I am, back to where I started from!
Being a South Indian, I cannot imagine a meal without rice. At home, we have rice in some or the other form for all the three meals.
So a rice salad is a perfect way to satisfy the ‘rice craving’. Not to mention the intake of good amount of vegetables and most importantly, not having to cook for the day!
- Cooked Basmati Rice : 1/4 -1/2 cup
- Onion : 1 small, chopped fine
- Carrot : 1 small, chopped fine
- Bell Pepper : 1 small, chopped fine
- Cucumber : 1/2 of a small one, chopped fine
- Tomato : 1 small, chopped fine
- Sweet Corn, Peas : a handful
- Soya sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces of roughly the same size.
- Put them in a big bowl, along with the cooked rice. Add soya sauce and seasonings according to your taste.
- Combine everything together, gently, with the help of two forks. Keep aside for 15 minutes for the flavors to blend and serve after heating in the MW for a minute. It tastes good on its own.