Like it or not, we have to eat three times a day. To cut out the tedious work, I have tried every possible trick in the book and then some more.
I cook more rice than needed and serve with curd and pickle the next day. Breakfast is cornflakes. There will be dosa batter (ready made, of course) in the fridge. I cut the vegetables for the week in advance, so that I won’t feel lazy. I grate coconut in advance, always. I even blend the coconut, green chilies and cumin seeds together so that making thoran (side dish with coconut) is easy.
I have even tried having a heavy lunch, so that I can skip dinner. It didn’t work, obviously, cos the stomach cannot be reasoned, it can only be fed at regular intervals.
The ‘restaurant threat’ is reserved for those days when laziness is at its peak (read weekends). Hubby doesn’t mind, but there are times when he wants to relax at home too. But in the new place, the nearest restaurant is at least 7-8 kms away. Now I have to resort to easy meals like this to kill those hunger pangs which never fail to attack me at 8AM, 1 PM and 8 PM everyday.
Serves : 1
- Broccoli : 1 cup florets
- Garlic : 2 pods
- Butter : 1 -2 tsp
- Milk : 1 cup (might need more)
- Salt & Pepper
- Microwave the broccoli florets and peeled garlic pods with the butter for 4-5 minutes or till cooked.
- Cool it and blend with milk. If it turns out to be too thick, add some more milk to get to the desired consistency.
- Add seasonings. Mix and pour it back to the same MW bowl and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Do a taste test and adjust the seasonings. Serve with toasted bread and salad.