- Instant Yeast : 2 tsp
- Sugar : 1 1/2 tbsp
- Flour : 3 1/2 cups**
- Vital Wheat gluten : 1 tbsp (optional)**
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Oil : 1/4 cup (preferably olive oil)
- Warm Water : 1 to 1 1/2 cups
- Oil for brushing dough
**I don’t get bread flour here, so Flour + gluten is a substitute for that
- Tomatoes : 3 big, sliced thin
- Mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4” slices. I used up about 150 gms, I guess!!
- Olive Oil : 1/4 cup
- Dried Oregano : 1 tsp
- Dried basil : 1 tsp
- Red chilli flakes : 1/2 tsp
- Garlic : 1 big pod, crushed
- Salt to taste
Make the herb oil. Whisk the chilli flakes, oregano, basil, crushed garlic, salt and oil together. Keep aside.
Get the ingredients for the bread.
In a big bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, gluten, oil. Whisk. Add a cup of warm water and make the dough. You might have to add more water as you go till you get a slightly sticky but soft dough.
Cover and keep it undisturbed for an hour or so. The dough should be double in quantity – that’s our target.
Once the dough doubles, punch it down. I wanted only two. So I divided the dough into two.
Roll out one portion into a thick oval-ish rounds. You can shape the dough with your hands as well. The thickness should be uniform all over. (Mine wasn’t, as you can see :D)
Transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so.
Once its risen, make dimples on it with your fingers. You can lightly oil your fingers before you do it. Brush generously with oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 210C till it’s golden brown. Take out the bread and raise the oven temperature to 230C.
Drizzle the herb oil generously. Place the cheese slices all over and then arrange the tomato slices. The top should be covered with the fillings. Drizzle some more herbed oil on top and bake again for 5-10 minutes until the cheese has just melted.
Beat eaten fresh and hot :-). Serve with a bowl of soup for a complete meal.
This post is linked to:
- Aparna’s We Knead to Bake, Bread #13
- Srivalli’s Kid’s Delight, hosted this month by PJ – Baked Treats
- Vardhini’s Bake Fest, 28th Edition hosted by Spicy Treats